Household utility bills is one of the standard expenses we need to pay every month to SP services.
The components included under the utility bill are:
- Electricity Services
- Gas Services
- Water Services
- Refuse Removal
- Water Conservation Tax
It’s been a few months since I moved into my BTO HDB flat, and the initial utility bills are quite high as there are lots of one-time fees that need to pay.
The bills have more or less stabilized now and I can easily see how much is my monthly bills without any bill shock.
Bills From June To October 2014
June 14: $63.24
July 14: $51.67
August 14: $44.11
September 14: $54.39
October 14: $52.56
Monthly average: $53.20
As utility bills is a fixed expenses, I am happy to keep it as low as possible. In the foreseeable future, I can estimate that my monthly bills will be less than $60 unless there is great changes to my lifestyle.
From the comparison charts above, you can see the great differences in consumption, and it has a lot to do with family size and lifestyle.
How Do I Reduce Keep Utilities Bills To The Minimum?
In order to have a lower bill, we need to tackle the contributing components one by one.
- Use fan often. I only use air-con during very hot nights.
- Physically switch off switches that are seldom in use. I always switch off appliances that are not in use daily especially those that are in standby mode such as my sub-woofer and air-con.
- Switch off lights in areas that are not in use at night. As I spend most of my time either in the study room or living room, the lights in the kitchen, bedrooms and toilets are only turn on when in use.
- We only cook simple meals a few times per month.
- Keep shower time to a minimum to reduce usage of running water.
- Reuse the water from the washing machine to flash toilet bowl, it is troublesome but it is worth the effort.
- Reuse the water from hand wash clothings to flash toilet bowl.
- Collect used utensils and wash them when the basin is full or at the end of day.
- Use the washing machine only when there is a full load to wash.
- Fixed amount, nothing much we can do to reduce it.
Water Conservation Tax
- 30% tax on water usage, as long as the water usage is low, this amount will remain low.
Enjoy the U-Save rebates given out by the government to help offset the utility bills for the following months.
Every cents saved can go a long way. We can do our part saving the earth by using less water and electricity also.
One more tip for you
Get 1% cash rebate on your utility bill by enrolling into POSB Everyday Credit Card recurring bill payment!